Here’s a step-by-step guide for converting a Microsoft Word file to a cleanly formatted, easily updated MOBI file and a POD-ready PDF.
Get a FREE PDF download:
Ebook and Print Production from Word Production Guide
Download related files here: Sample Files – OPF, NCX, CSS
POD-template for Word
See also FAQ for Production from Word Guide
In this step-by-step guide:
– Word-to-POD-ready Print File
– Word-to-MOBI Production
– Managing Styles in Microsoft Word
For creating print-on-demand (POD) PDF files:
- How to get headers, page numbers, front matter, and back matter to look professional, quickly.
- How to get justified text that doesn’t look like it was done by a space alien who’s heard of “rules of written language” but doesn’t realy grok what it means.
For creating ebook files:
- How to quickly convert from Word and get the results you intend.
- Make chapter breaks, the Table of Contents, and navigation controls work right, quickly.
- Control art, chapter and page decorations, and internal hyperlinks.
- Avoid wonky line spacing and bad indents.
These notes assume that your working environment is Windows and Microsoft Word. The ebook production steps focus on creating a MOBI file (Amazon format). You can find other guides and tools for creating an ePub for other eBook retailers, using the same source files as described in this guide.